How Tech Companies Are Responding to COVID-19
There are several responses that tech managers are taking to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 virus and its disruptions to day to day operations. These coping practices include having smart policies around remote work; anticipating and mitigating operational roadblocks; and addressing the social impacts of this worldwide health emergency. Below are two responses with key points to consider.
Remote work productivity and communication
- Use video for as much as possible as it is critical to maintain camaraderie and effective communication among co-workers and in large group meetings when working remotely.
- Reduce barriers to informal communications by creating an environment where people can easily chime in on certain issues at any time through the use of online communication platforms like Slack, Zoom, Google Hangouts, etc.
- But, be aware that communication will become out of sync when you have employees working from all around. This is particularly going to be the case when employees are now potentially surrounded by family or friends during their primary working hours as a result of social distancing.
Cultural aspects of working from home and building community
- Avoid letting all conversations become transactional. Meaning, don’t just reach out to people when you need something from them. Remember we are all in this together.
- Allow employees to share photos of their homes, their pets, their home offices, etc. to build camaraderie while working apart from one another.
- Create a consistent online hangout channel that people can drop in and out of to leave time for more casual conversation at points throughout the day.